Request for Applications (RFA)
Media Information Gaps Grants (MIGG)
Open to independent media outlets, CSOs, production houses, civic activists, journalists, bloggers, vloggers and influencers from Moldova
Application Submission Deadline: December 22, 2021
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Internews in Moldova is planning to award several small Media Information Gaps Grants (MIGGs) to support worthy creative media literacy pilot projects and nascent initiatives through a competition open to independent media outlets, CSOs, production houses, civic activists, journalists, bloggers, vloggers, influencers, and others who could benefit from the professional guidance and financial support to flesh out their ideas. This support will prioritise initiatives that focus on innovative production and partnerships in media literacy. It will enable media outlets and civil society groups to use innovation in the media to reach underinformed communities. Specific examples of potential initiatives include but are not limited to partnerships with social media influencers to conduct media literacy campaigns targeting young people on popular social media platforms or partnerships with local organisations. Another example could be the creation of innovative, interactive media education materials, such as tutorial videos, quizzes and games for students and young people to develop critical thinking skills, and teach them to recognise biased stories, misinformation, and disinformation.
A committee will select projects representing, media partnerships, various regions of the country, ethnic/linguistic minority groups that have the potential to cover information gaps in rural/regional areas, including those where minority languages are heavily used or where youth reside in underinformed communities. The project will support innovative proposals such as:
- creative media literacy campaigns for youth;
- promoting the consumption of quality media campaigns;
- promoting media literacy courses;
- community information partnerships;
- viral content production to promote media literacy, combatting dis- & misinformation, citizens engagement and citizens journalism;
- minority (languages) media production with focus on consumption of ethical, credible content;
- media literacy content for people with activity and participation limitations;
- other new initiatives in line with this call’s aim.
- SUBAWARD AMOUNT
Under this RFA, Internews anticipates awarding up to 5 (five) subgrants, with a maximum budget EUR 10,000 each. Under no circumstances will Internews consider an application for an award exceeding EUR 10,000. The exact number of grants awarded will depend on the size of the proposed budgets of winning proposals. The final budget value will be adjusted under Internews guidance only with selected candidates.
- SUBAWARD DURATION
Internews anticipates subgrants awarded under this RFA to have a performance period from February 1, 2022 – until July 30, 2022 (maximum 6 months). Shorter timeframes in this period are acceptable if matching the purpose of the project.
- ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
To be eligible to apply, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a resident of the Republic of Moldova;
- Be a locally registered organization in Moldova (individuals, such as bloggers, vloggers, influencers, etc. are encouraged to partner with organizations);
- Be a creative combination of actors/use of new technology;
- Be committed to increasing the number of its viewers/listeners/users;
- Strive to improve the quantity, formats, and quality of produced materials;
- Need to demonstrate commitment to continue proposed activities beyond project support duration;
- Need to demonstrate commitment to report according to requirements and deadlines.
- EVALUATION CRITERIA
A selection committee will review and evaluate applications on a range of selection criteria:
- Quality of project idea, including its innovative qualities (and consistency with goals and objectives of the program): maximum 50 points;
- Project planning/ability to achieve objectives: maximum 20 points;
- Program monitoring and evaluation: maximum of 20 points;
- Institution’s record and capacity: maximum 10 points.
- APPLICATION CONTENT REQUIREMENTS
Applications must meet the following requirements:
Project Description must contain:
- The project idea.
- A detailed and realistic work plan to provide a clear articulation of deliverables within the timeframe of the project.
- A monitoring and evaluation plan (list output and outcome indicators).
- Information on previous experience as grantees mentioning the funder (if applicable).
- APPLICATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTION
Applications must be submitted until December 22, 2021, to the following email address:
email@example.com. The e-mail subject line must include the following wording: “MIGG grants 2022.” The application documents must be included as attachments. The email must contain:
- Documents requested as part of the application.
- Full name of the applicant.
- Contact information, including physical address, email, and phone number.
- Organization registration documents under Moldovan law.
- AWARD NOTIFICATION AND RESPONSES
All applications submitted will be acknowledged within two (2) working days following the submission deadline and will note the documents submitted. Internews is responsible for confirming that the emails comprising the application reached Internews representatives.
Only successful applicants will be notified of selection within fifteen (15) working days following the submission deadline.
Notice of selection of the application is not to be construed as a contract or subgrant award. Once the selection is confirmed, a final subgrant agreement will be negotiated and signed with the successful applicant, subject to prime funder approval and successful vetting of eligibility.
For more details, please write to us at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +373 60500570.
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SESSION
An online information session for clarifications and details will be organized for organizations intending to participate in this grant program. To participate in this information session, those interested are asked to register by filling in the following form: Information session participation form. All information with details on the date of organizing the online information session and how to connect, will be sent to the registered email addresses.
- OTHER INFORMATION
The partnership between Internews and the MEDIACOR digital-media production center will offer to the beneficiaries of MIGG subgrants free access to the facilities of the video/sound recording studios, co-working spaces and access at the specialized events (conferences, meet-ups, workshops).
This activity is part of “Support to Moldovan Media and Innovative Media Literacy Efforts” project financed through Swedish development assistance and implemented by Internews in Moldova, which aims to promote the development of an independent, professional media that provides citizens with access to a diversity of perspectives, and to reduce the media sector’s vulnerability to political and financial interests.