|Position title:||Media Quality Adviser
|Organization:||Internews in Moldova|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term|
|Starting Date:||As soon as possible|
|End date:||12 months (with a possible extension for another three years upon approval of funding and satisfactory performance)|
|Location:||Chisinau, Republic of Moldova/ hybrid work|
|Closing date for Applications:||May 31, 2023, COB. Please note that the application process will be stopped as soon as a suitable candidate will be identified before this announced deadline. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon as possible to avoid missing out.|
Internews in Moldova is managing a variety of programs funded by USAID, the UK, Sweden, the US Embassy, the European Union, and the Kingdom of the Netherlands MFA. The projects aim to promote the development of an independent, professional media in Moldova that gives citizens access to a variety of perspectives and create a media sector that is more resilient to political and financial pressures. These projects will strengthen the ability of media to fulfill its role as a watchdog over the government and serve as space for citizens to engage in public policy dialogue. Targeted media literacy activities in the country will build consumer understanding of and demand for independent, reliable, and high-quality news and information. Moreover, Internews focuses on the legal enabling environment to reinforce existing protections for freedom of speech, facilitate better implementation of laws, and advocate for media sector regulation in accordance with international norms.
Media Quality Adviser closely monitors the media partners’ content; works intensively with key media partners as an “embedded editor” to promote adherence to ethical standards and provide assistance to improve outlets’ capacity to produce balanced, objective, and engaging news. S/he features content in a variety of formats, particularly around improving the quality of reporting on elections and issues affecting women and marginalized groups.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for Key Partners’ Organizational Capacity Assessments and mass media content evaluations.
- Monitor the content and use a tracking tool for accountability.
- Identify and coordinate the work with local and international experts; prepare and provide all necessary documentation for their contracting.
- Design curricula for and lead trainings, webinars, and other project-supported educational opportunities for Moldovan media professionals.
- Advise local content production partners, media watchdogs, and media literacy programs on improving content quality, promoting gender sensitivity, ensuring adherence to professional and ethical standards, incorporating interactive and multimedia content formats, and streamlining production.
- Assist in program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities.
- Compile training reports highlighting training activities conducted, lessons learned, challenges, and impact of assistance provided on content quality and newsroom efficiency.
- Provide information and contribute to semi-annual, annual, and final narrative projects reports.
- Represent Internews in different activities that requires representation.
- Prepares presentations for events and donor meetings.
- Serve as project directors for smaller projects, with the aim of distributing tasks in a proportionate manner.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualification in journalism, communication, or other relevant fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in implementing or managing media development projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate with staff members.
- Ability to critical thinking and creatively problem-solve.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and stress resistance.
- Fluency in English, Russian, and Romanian.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision for use of computer terminal and reading printed and electronic materials. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Working hours are moderately flexible, but generally Monday through Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, a CV including two references to the following address: email@example.com, May 31, 2023, 6:00 p.m. Please include “Media Quality Adviser” in the subject line. For any additional questions please contact Internews in Moldova office: +373 60500570.
Internews is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from candidates from a range of backgrounds. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. Internews does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Please note that Internews in Moldova office will only respond to those applicants selected for an interview.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.